Monday, June 16, 2014

Painting Services (The Reactor Core)

So a while back, when the new Chaos Space Marine codex was released, i started myself an army of World Eaters, which I have always wanted to play but never did get around to buying. I bought myself 4 boxes of Khorne Berzerkers, 2 Rhinos, Kharn the Betrayer, a Maulerfiend, and a box of Dark Vengeance. After having built everything, and playing a game, I realized that I would really love the whole thing to be painted when it descends upon my enemy on the tabletop. But how could i get it done? I have a huge army of Salamanders that are my primary focus and red is also not my strongest color to paint with well. So what should I do? Well, turns out I had a few options with this that I tried out and both yielded some good results.


So once i had built all of my World Eaters models, I had one of the local guys at my store paint my Kharn model. It cost me around $40 dollars when all said and done, but it looks much better than any job I could have done with it I think, and all the little details stand out well on it. As the centerpiece of the army I didn't mind having to spend some extra to get him done really well. :) Next up, I decided to get my Rhinos done, as those are big and blocky, but the guy I had do my single model isn't a huge fan of large surface, blocky model painting, so I instead looked for other sources. It just turns out that I discovered a new local company who do painting projects such as these; The Reactor Core. This is a small review of the Reactor Core painting company. Check out their site for more info after reading the article if you are interested in their services. http://thereactorcore.com/ (My pictures are a little dark, so the models are a bit brighter than they appear here on my article)
When I contacted the Reactor Core about getting these done, Spencer - my customer contact rep - was super helpful about painting a good picture of what options I could ask for and what each level of painting quality would cover. I opted to go for the mid-tier option and added some lighting glow effects too. (I can do the weathering and the highlight parts myself, but I really didn't feel like doing the larger paint areas) After only about 5 or 6 days then models were already finished. I received a good amount of communication on how the models were coming along before the job was finalized as completed, and was able to check them out before receiving them back. The details I got done on them are solid, with all the grizzly trophies and the weapons and extra hull ornamentation looking nicely finished. I still have yet to get to the Decals and then the weathering and highlights that I am going to do myself, but they still look nice without that for now also. :)
Here are the other pictures that I had of my Rhinos. There are actually some better ones on their website that you can check out if you are interested. They have a nice portfolio of current and previous projects. (they wont use anything on the site if you do not wish them to do so) But definitely worth a look for those who are curious. Paypal is the primary method of payment, and their prices are very reasonable for the timely job they do. I have the luxury of living close by so I don't really know how it is with shipping stuff, but if their body of work is anything to go by, I think you only have to worry about whoever is delivering the package when it comes to any damages potentially incurred to your miniatures. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment